New Contact Lens Wearers
If you would like to wear contact lenses for the first time you will need to have had an eye examination within the last 12 months and then book in for a Contact Lens Fit Consultation.
Existing Contact Lens Wearers
In the UK if you want to purchase contact lenses you must have a valid specification. The longest a specification can last is 12 months, but on occasion it could be less. Our annual aftercare fee gives peace of mind by covering you for both your annual appointment and any follow-up or emergency visits you may require.
Why do I need an appointment?
Contact lenses are medical devices that require a specification. Everyone’s eyesight and eyes are unique and only an optometrist can properly determine which power, size and type of contact lens is best for you.
Although wearing contact lenses is very safe, they can damage your eyes if you overwear them, fail to clean them properly or do not replace them as instructed. The earlier a problem is detected the quicker your eye will heal, and many of these changes can only be detected using our specialist equipment.
We charge a fee £43 for your initial fitting appointment and this includes the following:
- One-hour appointment with an optometrist.
- Assessment of your eyes to determine if you are suitable for contact lenses wear.
- Time to discuss what type and modality of contact lens would be best for you and your needs.
- Insertion of a pair of lenses in your eyes & further assessment.
- Tutorial to cover handing the lenses for insertion and removal, cleaning and general information.
- Once you have practiced taking the lenses in and out a few times and feel confident doing this (may require additional appointments) we then give you free trial lenses to last you a week or two and a starter pack of solution and case (if required).
- We also arrange a follow up appointment to review how you have been getting on and to check that your eyes are healthy.
- Only when you have had a successful trial with lenses do you then make a purchase of your own.
Your fee covers you for unlimited additional or emergency appointments that you may require over the next 12 months.
The importance of regular aftercare cannot be over-emphasised.
It allows us to assess your ocular health, comfort and vision and it allows you to talk about your progress. In addition we will proactively discuss whether you would benefit from any recent advances in contact lenses. Full peace of mind for just £33 a year!
- Contact lens appointments are separate and different from an eye examination – please mention when booking which you need or book a double appointment
- Always wear your contact lenses for an aftercare appointment, unless you have been advised not to.
- Please bring your contact lens case (if appropriate) and spectacles.